May 09, 2018
- Blockchain with torrent protocol.
- LBRY has two different content type. One is free, other is not. For non-free content once you do payment using the blockchain, you’ll be able to decrypt the private data you fetched using Torrent.
- Will be able to support all kinds of content but mainly focussed on video. It can support streaming as well.
- It has lightning network for scalability
- It has metadata for content discovery systems to be built on top of the protocol to compete with Youtube, Netflix
- Doesn’t have a white paper. Has multiple blogs posts explaining how the system works not scientificly approached.
- Users can buy link names such as lbry://ironman representing the torrent magnet link.
- Users have to consistantly monitor the names they bought for first 3 months to disallow someone else buying it
- Since it works like bittorrent, people need to download the content for it to be seeded. Currently they have servers to help serve content of people, however, when it scales, every user has to deal with their own content until it’s popular.
Low value, high potential, high risk. It needs to be better than the old market and they need to figure out how to conquor the old market.