May 20, 2018
- Holochain and blockchain are built for fundamentally different use cases. Blockchain is relatively good for systems where it’s absolutely necessary to maintain global consensus. Holochain is much better than blockchain at anything that requires less than universal consensus:
- It’s faster: Since Holochain apps don’t have to sync everyone on the network for every change that happens, they can run much faster than apps on blockchains.
- It’s more efficient: With no global syncing or mining, Holochain is exponentially more efficient and affordable than blockchain. This means it can be used for things like accounting for microtransactions that blockchains cannot address.
- It’s scalable: Holochain can support applications with billions of simultaneous users thanks to its parallel architecture.
- It’s adaptable: Users can adapt apps and protocols to meet their needs.
- It’s extendable: Users can extend applications by linking them to other applications. Anything a user can read out of one app, they can write into another.
- Holochain is the main project. Holo is the holofuel token on top. Hypetoken now, will bestable asset based coin in future.
- Made Holoport indiegogo campaign and raised $1M. Raised about $25M in ICO. 6x up from ICO.
- Distributes tokens with proof-of-service for serving your computing resources.
- Runs on linux for all computers.
- Every person has their own chain, signed by the user, each action is recorded.
- The 2 founders have been experimenting, writing, coding alternative currencies since 2007. They founded an open source project called metacurrency.
- First they are going to license their people to use their platform. Later they plan on opening to everyone.
- Their main engineers are very good.
- Sizhao Yang & Richard Burton following Holochain. Ryan Singer follows their CEO. Mozilla CFO and Co-Founder of Netflix said good things about the project.
- Funny quote from benchmarks: It’s probably best to stick to “HODLing” your ETH, because it’s a waste to try to do any computing with it. Running code and storing data on this “global computer” currently costs 100,000,000x to 1,000,000,000x the cost of doing the same computing on Amazon Web Services
- Circulating/Total Supply: 75% circulating, 25% is owned by the team.
- With few developers they do have, they care about what they are doing and are working hard.
- Good location for company in Gibraltar.
- Very new project that has possbility to steal market share from big players.
- Can be a market winner in its category.
- Team seems missionary and are working hard.
- There are too many people for marketing and evangelizing this project. Not many engineers. But their lead engineer seems like someone who can code everything by himself. Maybe this is a good thing?
- Anonymity is very hard to achieve with Holo, which makes illegal activity less desirable.
- No scientist for such a complex system.
- Holochain is supposed to be 10000x cheaper than blockchain, design makes sense but will it actually work?
- For tech haven’t read the whitepaper in detail and validated tech.
Seems like a guaranteed top 50 coin. Probably will be top 20. Has a shot at top 5. Still fairly new in the market, the only proper exchange is IDEX.